Learning for Life Programme
Learning for Life Programme (LLP)
Our School’s Learning for Life Programme (LLP) is Developing Community and Youth Leaders
Our LLP rides on the strong foundation of our school’s 3 main programmes – Student Leadership, Values-in-Action (VIA) and Outdoor Education (OE) and encapsulated in our Vision Leaders and Change-makers. This LLP programme aims to develop Community and Youth Leaders who are innovative in problem solving, confident and effective communicators and will be able to lead and serve to bring about improvement to the lives of others around them.
Key attributes of a Community and Youth Leader
- Innovative – always be engaged in the improvement of the community. He/ she is willing to seek all possible solutions to solve
- Confident – is adaptable and resilient, willing to make responsible decisions and communicates effectively.
- Caring – is able to empathise with others and is supportive towards their needs and
- Active contributor – he/she is able to work effectively in teams and exercises
Outdoor Education (OE), both at school and on residential courses, is a platform to enable students to achieve the above attributes towards improving the school community and beyond. It also aims to provide opportunities to develop students’ social and emotional learning and strong teamwork for innovative problem solving to overcome adversity and challenges posed to them.
A 2-tiered approach is applied to provide different depths of experience. In Tier 1, the activities are organised for the whole school population. In Tier 2, activities are organised for the high progressing student leaders. These students will be expected to demonstrate an additional level of competency and service. In our student leadership framework, the 6 groups of student leaders are namely: Student Councillors, Class Leaders, CCA Leaders, Cyberwellness Leaders, Environmental Leaders and Citizenship Education Leaders.
Tier 1 Programme – Opportunities for All
Sec 1 – Self-Leadership Programme
Sec 1 – Outdoor Education Programme – Hiking
Sec 2 – Camp Resilience
Sec 2 – Outdoor Education Programme – Dragon Boating
Sec 3 – Outward Bound Course (OBS) Camp
Tier 2 Programme – For High Progressing Leaders
Sec 2 & 3 – Emerging Leaders Camp
Sec 2 & 3 -Youth Sports Leaders Camp
Sec 2 – Youth Community Leaders Programme
Sec 2 & 3 – NYAA
Outdoor Education Programme – Dragon Boating
NW Youth Community Leaders Programme
Emerging Leaders Camp
SMB Values-in-Action (VIA) Programme
VIA programme aims to promote active citizenry among our youth and bring about a greater sense of engagement and ownership. Teachers facilitate students’ discussion of community issues and ideas for making a difference. Curriculum time will be set aside for students to reflect on what they have learnt at various stages of their projects. In that way, students continue to apply what they have learnt, and be active contributors and concerned citizens. Students are encouraged to initiate VIA activities based on their assessment of the needs of their community.
The VIA Programme will have age-appropriate activities that develop the relevant knowledge, skills and attitudes to put values into action. The Complexity of Community Problem differs for the different levels (Sec 1 to Sec 5).
- At Sec 1, students are the Change Makers @Sembawang Sec, focusing on the theme of recycling and saving the Environment.
- At Sec 2, students are the Change Makers in the Community, advocating recycling messages to the community.
- At Sec 3, students are the Change Makers who take actions to contribute to the Community through self-initiated VIA activities.
- At Sec 4/5, students are the Change Advocates of national and global issues to inspire and influence others to make a difference to something important that they care.
Change Makers @Sembawang Sec, focusing on the theme of recycling and saving the Environment. – Beach Cleaning
Change Makers who take actions to contribute to the Community through self-initiated VIA activities. – HDB Gate Painting
Change Advocates of national and global issues to inspire and influence others to make a difference to something important that they care about. – VIA Carnival