Principal’s Message 2017
The Motto of Sembawang Secondary School (SMB) is – Strive, Serve, and Soar – and we envision our endeavours within these 3 ideals.
What does it mean to Strive?
1. Students must participate actively in all learning activities in school to broaden horizons, develop perspectives, and accumulate a wealth of knowledge. Such learning activities include formal lessons (in academic and non-academic areas), CCAs, learning journeys, enrichment programmes, school events, and interpersonal interactions.
- Only through active participation in such learning activities can we learn about the world we live in – its many facets and many people – and be sufficiently prepared to contribute to it. Indeed, as we learn in school through multiple, multi-faceted learning opportunities, we will be able to value our learning more and understand the whole idea of life-long learning. We will begin to Strive to learn more because we appreciate how it makes us adapt and contribute better.
- SMB educators will therefore endeavour to provide students with quality teaching, quality learning opportunities, and develop in our charges a passion for lifelong learning and a love for learning.
How do we Serve?
4. There are many ways to Serve. Students will understand that we can serve our Self, Family, Community, and Nation. We can be good students who can contribute to the economic growth of our nation. We can demonstrate kindness and be helpful. We can carry out charitable acts to lighten others’ difficulties.
- We can be active and vigilant citizens who care about our community and nation. We can appreciate the diversity that keeps us united as a nation and play our part to strengthen this social cohesion. We can show pride in our family, school, community, and nation. We can make our community, nation, and world better by applying what we are continually learning.
- To do all this and more, we will need conviction in our hearts and minds and a strong moral compass to guide us on our path. Take small but purposeful steps that brighten not just our day, but also the days of those around us, that brighten the place we dwell in or pass through.
- SMB educators will journey with our students, role modelling what it means to Serve, facilitate students’ endeavours in active citizenship, community- and nation-building, and strive to develop Leaders working for the good of others.
How will we Soar?
8. To Soar is to rise above. We must give our best effort, and be our best selves at all times. This will help us uplift others; it will also mean we are true to Self and understand ourselves well. We will Soar in character, conviction, and effort so that others are inspired as well.
- To Soar does not mean we can never fail; rather, it means we will keep trying even when the outcomes are not the best the first time around because in order to achieve this, we will need to have a strong will that will enable us to overcome challenges and obstacles in our path.
- To Soar means we will keep ahead of change and adapt well to the present. We will develop our Interests, Abilities, and Talents to the fullest potential. We will Give because we can.
- SMB educators will develop in our students the resilience and will to overcome obstacles, the vision and foresight to be at the forefront of change, and the verve to excel and innovate.
- We will partner Parents and others so that our students have a nurturing support system to help them realise their dreams. Together, we can all be dreamcatchers, enabling the graduates of SMB to be world-ready youth, happy, active and contributing in their own right.
Mr Jaswant Singh